- Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What qualifies for this pilot MF program?
- Q: How does it work?
- Q: Why should I participate?
- Q: Is my property eligible?
- Q: What energy-efficient upgrades are eligible to receive incentives?
- Q: When can I apply for this program?
- Q: What is the process to receive the ThermWise incentive? What is required for participation?
- Q: When will I receive my incentive?
- Q: What organization is administering this program?
- Contact us before you make energy upgrades at your property.
Dominion Energy - Utah
Multifamily DSM Program
Dominion Energy has hired ICAST to pilot a custom incentive program to achieve deep retrofits for multifamily (MF) properties as an addition to its ThermWise program. ICAST can offer rebates for eligible residential (in-unit) and commercial (common area or master-metered) upgrades that create energy savings in multifamily properties.
ICAST will deliver hundreds of thousands of therm savings by integrating its innovative one-stop-shop program into Dominion Energy’s ThermWise program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What qualifies for this pilot MF program?
All MF properties with five or more units can get incentives for saving gas through energy-efficiency upgrades, including:
- Furnaces and Boilers
- Water Heating
- Smart Thermostats
Other custom measures that save gas consumption
Experts from ICAST can help you identify these energy-saving opportunities at your MF property. You then choose what upgrades to install.
Q: How does it work?
As a program participant, our experts will perform an energy audit of your property to identify potential energy-efficiency improvements along with associated costs and savings estimates.
After the energy audit, you’ll get a project proposal to help you make informed decisions. From there, the choice is up to you. You can:
Choose to move forward with the entire project installing all qualifying upgrades.
- Select a portion of qualifying upgrades from the project proposal.
Elect to do nothing.
We provide incentives for the upgrades you make.
Q: Why should I participate?
Because we have made it very easy and hassle-free for you to earn cash incentives when you make your MF property more energy efficient. You’ll have a single point of contact at ICAST to help you through the entire process.
Because it makes financial sense. By participating, your property becomes greener and more attractive to your tenants, which in turn can:
- Improve your revenues with higher occupancy and lower turn-over rates
- Reduce your operating costs with lower O&M costs
- Lower your energy bills
- Enhance property value with higher NOI and better equipment installed
Because it will create a better living environment. Dozens of studies have shown that green upgrades increase comfort, health and safety for tenants that, in turn, creates lower turnover and higher occupancy.
Because ICAST can help attract other incentives and low-cost financing such as:
- ThermWise and other utility incentives (ICAST is managing the Rocky Mountain Power MF program also)
- Grants from various sources, including Weatherization, HOME, CDBG, etc.
- Fannie, Freddie and FHA green lending incentives
- Energy efficiency tax credits and deductions
- Low-cost financing from various local sources
Q: Is my property eligible?
All MF properties served by Dominion Energy in Utah are eligible to participate. Both existing and new construction properties are eligible. Tenant paid meters as well as common area meters or master metered gas accounts are all eligible to receive incentives from this program.
Q: What energy-efficient upgrades are eligible to receive incentives?
Since this is a holistic approach to energy savings for MF properties, all energy efficiency products that you are considering to install, that will result in energy savings, can be eligible to receive incentives as long as they’re certified by organizations such as ENERGY STAR, Consortium for Energy Efficiency, etc., and fit within the following categories:
- Building shell upgrades
- Space heating
- Water heating
Q: When can I apply for this program?
You can apply when:
- You want to evaluate the benefits of energy efficiency upgrades for your MF property and would like help in determining if this program is right for you; or
- You have determined the energy efficiency upgrades you want to install at your property and are ready to move forward.
In either case, contact the program administrator to confirm your eligibility to participate in this program and then schedule a site visit with them to qualify the energy efficiency upgrades and determine the incentives.
Q: What is the process to receive the ThermWise incentive? What is required for participation?
Before you install energy efficient products at your MF property, please call our program administrator at 1-866-739-9741 or email them at DE@icastusa.org to ensure you qualify for the incentive and to reserve your rebate amount.
- We will conduct an on-site energy audit and provide a report that confirms your incentive amount.
- You implement your project and on completion, call us.
- We conduct a post-installation inspection before you get your incentive.
You have the option to have our program administrator manage your entire project, including permitting, installation and financing.
Q: When will I receive my incentive?
You get the incentive within 45 days of project completion and receipt of required documentation. Alternatively, you have the option to reduce the total cost of the project by the incentive amount, if you hire the program implementer to manage the upgrade installs for you.
Q: What organization is administering this program?
ICAST (International Center for Appropriate and Sustainable Technology), is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that is administering this pilot MF program in Utah.
Contact us before you make energy upgrades at your property.
Please call 1-866-739-9741 or email us at DE@icastusa.org or visit us at http://www.icastusa.org/home/services/dsm/dominion-energy/